Friday, September 25, 2009

Maxim's Moon Cakes (Sydney version)

It’s moon festival next Saturday, and I went and bought some “bing” “pay” (snowy / iced) moon cake today. There’s not much choice in Sydney… so I just went with a safe choice… something I’ve had before- Maxim’s.

The moon cakes came in a variety of box sizes- double pack, rectangular boxed, square boxed and round boxed. I chose the ones in the round tin, cos it’s the largest box of them all, and the yellow circular tin looks like the moon, so is well suited for moon festival.


I had a brief glance at the bottom of the tin, and saw the usual flavours (Sago Cream with Mango & Pomelo; Mango; Sesame; Pineapple; Green Tea with Macadamia Nuts; Chestnut; Green Tea with Red Bean and Yam; and Strawberry).

When I got back to the office, out of curiosity, I looked up the HK Maxim’s site to see if they sell the same stuffs in HK….

And obviously not!!! The HK version of the round tin has:
  • Rocky Road;
  • Custard;
  • Tiramisu;
  • Strawberry;
  • Sago Cream with Mango and Pomelo;
  • Mango;
  • Green Bean Paste; and
  • BIRDS NEST…
OK I can understand not including the birds nest moon cake because of importation rules… but what about the missing Rocky Road, Custard and Tiramisu flavours? Where have they gone?!

*****
Postscript:-

Have just pre-celebrated moon festivals with my in-laws, and have ate the largest moon cake in the box, which is the Sago Cream with Mango and Pomelo... it's good, not too sweet at all, especially when compared to the traditional ones... YUM~~!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment